The smash hit rock & roll musical Buddy – The Buddy Holly Story
has announced its new cast for its forthcoming 30th anniversary tour. The production will bring with it a multi-talented group of actor-instrumentalists, featuring AJ Jenks
and Christopher Weeks
(who alternate the role of Buddy Holly), Jordan Alexander
, Miguel Angel
, Joshua Barton
, Harry Boyd
, Joe Butcher
, Cartier Fraser
, Josh Haberfield
, Rhiannon Hopkins
, Sasha Latoya
, Hannah Price
and Ben Pryer
. Together they will present a sensational two hours of live musical theatre (“an unashamed, rabble-rousing fiesta” – The Sunday Times
), featuring over 20 of iconic rocker Buddy Holly’s greatest hits, including such timeless classics That’ll Be The Day
, Peggy Sue
, Oh Boy
and Rave On
Through its phenomenal run of productions and performances across five continents, Buddy
has become known as ‘The World’s Most Successful Rock & Roll Musical’ and will celebrate its 30th anniversary year embarking on a UK-wide tour
in 2019 and 2020. The tour previews at the Harlow Playhouse
on Wed 28 – Sat 31 August, before its official opening at Theatre Royal, Plymouth
– the spiritual home of where the show first opened in 1989.
Writer and Producer Alan Janes says: “We can’t wait to get back on the road for this special 30th anniversary UK tour of Buddy, with a new cast of hugely talented actors and musicians, who will be aiming to give audiences an unforgettable night at the theatre.”
Although there have been many imitations, Buddy
has stood the test of time. The show has inspired a generation of multi-million selling juke-box musicals, including Mamma Mia
, We Will Rock You
, and Jersey Boys
, yet remains a true original and musical phenomenon. BEFORE THE BEATLES, BEFORE THE STONES… ROCK & ROLL WAS BORNBuddy – The Buddy Holly Story
tells the enduring tale of the musical icon’s meteoric rise to fame through to his final legendary performance at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, before his tragic and untimely death at the age of 22. In 18 short months the bespectacled young man from Lubbock, Texas, revolutionized the face of popular music, influencing everyone from Bob Dylan and The Beatles to Elton John and Bruce Springsteen. Audiences will be taken on a journey through Buddy’s short yet spectacular career, and with the Big Bopper’s Chantilly Lace
and Ritchie Valens’ La Bamba
completing a stellar musical line-up, Buddy
is a not-to-be-missed evening of family entertainment.
Since opening at Theatre Royal Plymouth in August 1989, Buddy
has enjoyed extraordinary success, having played a record- breaking 4450 performances over 556 weeks on tour
in the UK and Ireland, as well as 5822 performances over 728 weeks in London’s West End
, winning numerous awards along the way. 2019 sees Buddy
joining a small – but lauded – number of iconic musicals including Les Miserables
, Phantom of the Opera
, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
, Miss Saigon
in reaching a remarkable three decades on stage.
Seen by over 22 million music fans since it first opened in London’s West End, Buddy
speaks an international language and continues to have audiences from ages 8 to 80 rockin’ in the aisles across the globe!
“AN UTTER JOY”
“IT’S STILL BUDDY BRILLIANT”
The Sun30 Years in Numbers:
- Since opening at the Theatre Royal Plymouth, in August 1989, BUDDY
has played 556 weeks (4,450 performances) on tour in the U.K., and 728 weeks (5822 performances) in London’s West End – for a total of 10,272 U.K. performances!
- In total our Buddy Hollys have sung 17 songs 264,346 times
- 186,000 guitar strings have been replaced (92 miles) and over 212,000 plectrums used
- 3,320 pairs of trousers have had to be replaced – due to Buddy knee sliding across stages throughout the world – and 410 pairs of glasses
- Over 33 tons of washing powder have been used by our Wardrobe Mistresses/Masters, as well as more than 2,750 gallons of fabric conditioner
- 150,000 feet (28.41 miles) of guitar cable have been used and 3,038,785 radio mic batteries replaced.
- The trucks that are used to transport the show from venue to venue have now travelled approximately five-and-three-quarter times around the world!
- The performers have drunk over 104,000 gallons of bottled water. The beer intake has never been monitored!
- Throughout the world 12 couples have met and married while working in the company and there have been 26 Buddy
- Extended runs and tours have included London, UK tours, Broadway, US tours, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Reno, Canada, Toronto, British Columbia, Australia, Sydney, New Zealand, Germany, Hamburg, South Africa, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Ireland, Japan, and Singapore
ran in the West End for over 14 years – playing the Victoria Palace, Strand (now Novello), and Duchess Theatres – making it one of the longest-running shows in London theatre history!